Why move to AWS?
AWS allows teams to access continuous development, continuous testing, and continuous deployment tools in the cloud, and bring products to the market sooner.
There are many AWS tools and services that teams can take advantage of to perform numerous actions, including:
- Automate how servers are configured, deployed, and managed across instances.
- Assess how an application is performing and troubleshoot the root cause of performance issues and errors.
- Run code for any type of application, on a microservices-based architecture – without having to worry about administration.
- Automatically deploy code – without having to provision or manage the infrastructure stack.
Atlassian Data Center offers organizations the availability and performance they need for their mission-critical applications. When combined with the reliability and performance of AWS, it provides extraordinary dependability, with redundancy and fail over options.
- You can leverage rapid-indexing for improved availability of services, and respond to growing needs quickly and efficiently.
- You can manage the ever-growing number of concurrent users through resilient application infrastructure framework, and quality of services.
- Using the elastic load balancing feature, you can redirect excess traffic to Amazon EC2 instances for consistent performance.
- You can deploy new nodes without any hassle (or downtime), and use active-active clustering to ensure high availability.
- In the event of a disaster, you can extend your disaster recovery plans beyond a single physical data center, and eliminate single points of failure.
- The distributed load feature intelligently distributes load across clusters, so you can enjoy a consistent performance.
AWS security best practices, compliance, and controls can be leveraged to increase privacy and boost security for your data center while you scale your infrastructure. From network firewalls to customer-controlled encryption, secure connectivity options to automatic encryption of traffic - there’s a lot you can choose from to keep your data safe 24x7.
If you are using Atlassian tools to manage your daily operations, you may find the need to move them to the cloud to maximize your investment.
- As a first best practice, it is crucial that you deploy the quick start template or the Atlassian Standard Infrastructure (ASI) to create prerequisites for deploying JIRA, Confluence, and Bitbucket data center on the virtual private cloud.
- The ASI provides not only standard components like the VPC but also different types of subnets required. This way, you can get access to the underlying common architecture that is necessary for deploying multiple Atlassian Data Center Tools.
- You also need to make sure to migrate your Atlassian databases to PostgreSQL – if you haven’t already done so. Always take a backup of your existing home directory, and database, and copy the backup file to your service EC2 instance.
While migrating your existing JIRA instance to AWS you should:
- Associate the Domain name of Amazon’s load balancer with your domain name. You can do this by using your DNS service to create a CNAME record and enter the source and target URLs.
- Consider having an effective monitoring strategy in place.
- Since your SSH private key provides access to all the nodes in your instance, keep it safe, or else you will find yourself locked out.
When migrating Confluence Data Center to AWS you should:
- Leverage Atlassian Virtual Traffic Manager to route traffic between instances on the same domain, and to terminate SSL for the Confluence Data Center instance.
- Don’t use the Auto Scaling feature to scale the size of your cluster dynamically; since adding an application node to the cluster usually takes more than 20 minutes, the feature isn't fast enough to address sudden load spikes.
- If you can identify any periods of high and low load, schedule the application node cluster to scale accordingly.
- Always monitor the performance of your deployment to study the trends in your organization loads; track metrics across network throughput, the number of active database connections, node CPU usage, frequency and number of timeouts, disk space errors, or memory issues.
When migrating Bitbucket Data Center to AWS you should:
- Use local smart mirrors to synchronize data between two geographically dispersed locations seamlessly, manage traffic across regions, and increase clone and fetch performance.
- Instead of an actual load balancer, use Atlassian’s proprietary Virtual Traffic Manager that is hosted on two instances to handle the bandwidth you need efficiently.
- Use a dedicated NFS server and get access to plenty of RAM for efficient page caching.
- Leverage the features of Atlassian Crowd to manage users from multiple directories and control authentication permissions using a single sign-on.
- To address bottlenecks, you can either add more node resources or perform a rolling restart. This is helpful not just to keep source control robust throughout the instance, but also to help prevent any slowdown from impacting services that depend on source control.
The benefits of migrating Atlassian tools on AWS are numerous, but the challenges are also many. Organizations often have to contend with nodes available in a single region, deal with network latency that can delay response times, and face the challenge of downtime while updating nodes.
However, a good way to overcome these challenges is by partnering with tech experts like Addteq for migration. At Addteq,
- We combine the efficiency and technical expertise to provide the returns you need from your cloud investment.
- Being a Platinum Solution Partner for Atlassian, we know what it takes to migrate Atlassian tools on AWS cloud while offering managed hosting services. This helps you focus your effort in building your business – while keeping operational costs to a minimum.
- Our experience in custom add-on development ensures seamless integration of cloud applications
- Our quick turnaround times guarantee customer satisfaction.
- We seamlessly migrate data to meet the growing needs of your business.
- Our 24x7 support ensures every issue is resolved, in the quickest time possible, for the highest level of satisfaction.
By partnering with us, you can reduce your time-to-market, increase operational agility and resilience, and drive innovation like never before.
Using Atlassian tools on AWS can benefit your organization in unprecedented ways. In addition to simplifying the process of provisioning resources, you can also ensure quick deployment of code, automate software releases, and continuously monitor your infrastructure performance.
Given how popular Atlassian tools are becoming, it makes complete sense to move them to the cloud. Follow these best practices and partner with experts like Addteq to drive the most value from your Atlassian tools.